This is going to be concise and to the point as I have struggled for days with exactly how to write about the death of George Floyd and his impact on the United States. The last thing I want is to come across as knowing how anyone else is feeling or what they are going through. So, I’m just going to write and hope for the best because at this moment in history silence is unacceptable.
I have typically viewed social media (and the Internet as a whole) as an escape and try to use it for humor. On the rare occasion I have posted anything remotely political I get the few folks who come out of the woodwork to challenge me and, quite honestly, to get worked up over something on social media just simply isn’t worth it to me. But this time, it’s different. For me, this isn’t a political issue, it’s a human issue and one worth voicing an opinion.
I fully recognize the benefits I have enjoyed simply from having been born white. My stressors, whatever they may be, rarely come close to the stress of others as I am able to navigate through life with little impact. Basically, I am the very definition of white privilege. Having established that, here is what I plan to do:
- Vote. Vote. Vote. If you are not registered to vote please click on this link and do so: usa.gov/register-to-vote
- Donate to black and African American focused charities. I found this site, https://www.charitynavigator.org/ which rates the many charities for their financial health, and accountability and transparency.
- Read more and continue to educate myself.
- Raise my children right. My parents raised me right and it won’t stop there.
- Speak-up and correct those expressing racist views in my presence.